Saturday, November 12, 2011

How similar are the Bosnian, Croatian, and Serbian languages?

Yes they are different because the use different alphabets, grammatical and semantic differences are from my standpoint pretty big since I was never exposed to Serbian and/or Bosnian and unlike my parents and, to a lesser extent, grandparents ( who had as much difficulty with Serbian as myself since they were thought Croatian in their youth, unlike my parents who were thought that unholy mix). I speak a dialect called kajkavian and if and when I chose to use it with someone from e.g. Serbia he/she will make out 1/4. I would also like to accentuate the fact that the Croatian "standard" is not actually standard since it was introduced only a 100 years ago in an effort to more closely bind Serbian and Croatian interests which seemed prudent at that time. The whole central, northern and northwestern part of Croatia speaks kajkavian, the western most part and south čakavian dialect and only the eastern part the "standard", i.e. štokavian which is most similar to Serbian and Bosnian but with big differences still. And no there isn't a language called Yugoslavian, that would be something like Czeckoslovakian. I'd also like to state for the record that languages such as Swedish and Norwegian, Czech and Slovakian etc. are also pretty similar but I haven't seen people ask whether they are the same language. Croatian has been a language in its own right for at least a 1000 years and only in the last 100 have there been "problems" with whether it is a language separate from Serbian. I'd also wager that if you ask a Croatian 99% would say that there isn't a language called Serbo-Croatian and that the language they speak is Croatian. On the other hand if you ask someone from Serbia ( as the previous poster ) he/she will almost always say that either there is no Croatian and that we speak modified Serbian or that there exists Serbo-Croatian. We don't want to have anything to do with Serbia, Serbian, Serbians till they get a grip on themselves. Imagine how would you feel if someone constantly imposes their own "truth" and their version of events upon you and insist that you speak something you know is not what they claim it is... And they just won't leave us be... I speak Croatian which to me is as different from Serbian as are Polish, Slovenian and Russian.

No comments:

Post a Comment